Thursday, September 16, 2010

Blog #3

 This topic was very timely for me, as I have realized several areas of my health that I need to address. As far as physical safety and the avoidance of dangerous practices, I am consistent with myself and my family. Seat belts, helmets,  the avoidance of alcohol, drugs, and cigarettes, as well safety when driving with others are natural habits for me. I have recently developed a chronic health problem, which has forced me to stay on top of, as well as prompted me to seek preventive care. This whole issue has actually caused me a great deal of stress due to confusion and differing opinions about the diagnosis and source of problems, and undesirable effects of medication. The behaviors I need to change are regular exercise and stress reduction. I do exercise, but not as often as I should. I personally know from experience I need to have some of physical exercise every day. I think I am too busy, but I can no longer keep from attending to my needs. Also, my stress has increased, or at least I have become more aware of it and its negative effects. I try to eat healthy, but need to moderate my portions and continue to be conscience of my eating habits and choices. I think by changing these behaviors, I will dramatically improve my quality of life, be able to handle things that come my way more effectively, and set a good example for my children. I am starting right now by journaling. I bought a notebook and am taking the time to write things down. How I feel, mini-lists of ways to make it a better day, and positive words of affirmation and encouragement. I think this strategy will be beneficial to me because I love to write things down, read over things, put ideas on paper, and make lists.

Amy

4 comments:

  1. Amy,
    I wish you best of luck, and would like to congratulate you in starting a better life for yourself. I do agree with you that eating moderate portion size can improve health dramatically. After answering the assessment test, I did realize that I do have a healthy eating habit as of lately. It’s because of the fact that I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes during my pregnancy. It is the simple things that that we as women do not care about in our diet. I would drink a lot of juices (I thought were healthy), but came to realize that they are not healthy. It’s better to have a fruit then drink juice. Juices have lots of sugar in it and it can raise sugar level pretty high. My nutritionist told me to take my meal in smaller portion which helps regulate blood sugar level better. If I ate a big meal it will be hard for my body to process it. She also told me to eat every 2-4 hours and keep my meal and snack size smaller. I followed her advice and I actually lost weight when I was eight month pregnant. Having a proper diet, and regular exercise can change quality of life in a positive way.

    Subuk Usmani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    You really sound like you have a good understanding of your health problems and are setting good and realistic goals. I am sorry that you are getting conflicting information about your chronic condition. Maybe you will be able to use this experience in the future if you are woking as a health educator. Communication is an improtant part of health care experience and learning strategies to facilitate the process is very important.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    I truly commend you for standing up for a better quality of life and overall health status. I encourage you to continue addressing those things one at a time that you are concerned about. I think that the first step to becoming healthier individuals is understanding our health status and being aware of how to properly address health issues. It sounds like you understand what kind of life you want to live and you are making positive changes towards better health. I wish you the best of luck. Remember, we are only defeated when we decide not to fight. Best Regards.
    Martinetta Victorian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    Martinetta is right, “we are only defeated when we decide not to fight”

    I am truly sorry to hear about your medical concerns, I have an idea of how you might be feeling. When my son was diagnosis with type 1 diabetes, my whole world came crashing down, my stress level, blood pressure was through the roof. People kept telling me give it to God but I did not know how. I was accepting defeat. It got better when I assume the Win.
    Find a support group for your medical conditions, talk to others who are facing the same concerns. The journal is a great start to reviewing daily activities, and a great way to see what changes need to be made. Assume the WIN!
    It will get better, buy yourself a trinket each time you accomplish a goal or just to make u feel better.

    Warm Regards
    Keisha

    ReplyDelete