Friday, November 5, 2010

Blog 10

What factors can influence women to adopt healthier lifestyles and engage in preventative behaviors so as to reduce their risks of cardiovascular disease and cancer?




There are several factors that I can think of that influence me to adopt a healthier lifestyle. I think the more you read and have an awareness and understanding of how much you can help your health with your choices makes a big difference. How can we adopt change if we do not know or understand? Also, having a support system and loves on on board will help. Otherwise, you may feel taking the time to exercise or spend more money on healthier food (or saying "not today" to that run through the drive-thru) is in someway "selfish". Women tend to sacrifice a lot for those they love. But we must remember, healthy actions and taking time for ourselves is actually a give we give to them as well. I think including loved ones in exercise and activity is more fun and is also quality time.  I think a woman is very influential in promoting positive behaviors to those around her. 





2 comments:

  1. I agree and believe that education is the key (I think I say that in all of my blogs!). Women have so many roles they take on every day. We go to school, work, have children and husbands. Everything we do is so important to us and we do not want to take time for ourselves. It is time women become "selfish" and take care of ourselves as much as we take care of others and our careers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for making this point of how mothers sacrifice our own health. I know as a mother and a wife I also tend to sacrifice my own health for my family! I tend to cook what my girls will eat and feel guilty if I take time to exercise instead of spending time with my children! But after this chapter I think it is selfish if I do not take the time to be healthy. I am also lucky that my kids are older and can start exercising with me and start teaching them the importance of eating the right foods and how exercise is important for all of us!

    Thank you,
    Beth Stauffer

    ReplyDelete