Friday, October 1, 2010

Blog 5

Honestly, I never really thought about having children when I was growing up. I always knew I wanted to marry, though. What became a turning point for me was when my mother passed away suddenly, my husband and I had been married about two years. This certainly changed the course of my life as I journeyed through this difficult time. My husband and I were able to draw closer from this experience. I began to see myself as a mother, and felt confident in the possibility of this role. I have been blessed with three children, and feel it is truly a calling for me. All women are different, and feelings about motherhood can change as you go through seasons and the ebb and flow of life. I think having a strong, flexible, safe, and nurturing relationship is so important when you think about having a child, or are faced with pregnancy. Of course, circumstances such as financial security, physical and emotional health, and available support and help can effect a mothering experience. I moved to a different state when I was pregnant with my third child, and my other two were ages 5 and 8, and did not know a single person in our new location. Yes,this is challenging and I have missed the "sisterhood" and support that I was unable to receive from other women in my family but have also grown immensely as a person. The experience of having and raising children is a lifelong journey, and has become the core of all facets of my life.

Thank you,
Amy Hicks

1 comment:

  1. Amy,

    I almost hava a similar situation when it comes to starting my family. I was pretty young when I had my first child, I was 19 only and had no plans what so ever to have start a family that young, but life tends to throw you a few curve balls sometimes. Although living the single life was great, I believe I was heading into the wrong direction and feel that God does things for a reason sometimes and got me pregnant. I have completley changed my life 360 degrees as soon as I held my first child in my hand. It has been difficult and a wild journey, however its all worth it. I would not change a minute of it and that is why 10 years later, im a mother of 3 as well. What a beautiful journey it has been. Thank you for sharing your story of how your beautiful family began.

    Dana Anderson

    ReplyDelete