Thursday, November 18, 2010

Blog 12

Yes, I have known people very dear to me who have suffered with mental illness. I know that being diagnosed with depression means a lifetime of trying different strategies to lessen symptoms and enjoy life. These have included cognitive therapy, psychiatric counseling, group therapy, mental health facility stays, a myriad of pharmaceuticals, and a constant connection and monitoring of sleep, diet, and exercise. These two ladies affected by depression, I believe resulted from a hereditary element, and triggered by long term influences and short term traumatic instances occurring in childhood. I have become much more open about mental illness, and it really helpsto talk about it. I do not want people to feel "shame" about mental illness. This only adds to feelingsof guilt and hopelessness, because you do not want to feel depressed and cannot "make it stop" with you own will and determination. I know that taking time to educate and understand how thingseffect depression helps you manage it. Mental illness is really hard on friends and families; but if your loved one had cancer or was in a car accident you would do everything in yourpower to help them, understand what they are going through, and seek help. Mental health should be viewed the same way. In my relationships, depression is a disease. Professional help is critical, and the warning signs of suicidal behavior.

4 comments:

  1. Amy,

    Like you, I have someone close to me that suffers from a mental illness. I agree with you that it is important to talk about these issues openly so that others can be educated instead of naive about these illnesses. People shouldn't feel ashamed if they suffer from a mental illness, instead they should talk about it so that their loved ones can support them.

    Carla Keeley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    Depression is a very serious matter. I have seen the results of postpartum depression and it is an extremely negative situation to see a mother not want to hold or feed her child. We are lucky to live in a country where there are therapies and treatments to help those who suffer from depression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are treatments and therapies available but often those suffering do not know where to turn or are too affected by their illness to seek help or follow instructions about meds and treatment. We have all heard of those individuals who stopped medications for schizoprenia or bipolar disorder and relapsed to the point where they harmed themselves or others. Mental illness is very draining, not only for those affected, but also for families who are trying to cope. It is a costly affliction for everyone, including employers who are on the hook for more than $40 billion annually in lost productivity. I personally believe that government resources being expended on non-life threatening issues should be reallocated toward mental illness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I myself have experienced a loved one with depression. They feel as though everything is against them and they feel worthless. I had a family member who was so depressed she stayed in here room sittn n the dark fr countless hours. If you came an turned her light on she would yell and cry. She went to therapy a few times and was diagnosed w depression on which she was prescribed medicine. I think she also received meds for anxiety. Most of her depression comes from events in her past an the fact that shes physically crippled. She's gotten better over the past few months but we continue to love her and give her much needed attention. I enjoyed your post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete