Friday, October 8, 2010

Blog 6

     I do not think all prenatal testing should be routinely done for all pregnant women.  I personally received screening tests during my three pregnancies, including blood tests and ultrasound tests. I do see the value in pregnant women receiving these because they are non-invasive and can ease a mother's worry in most cases, or offer the chance to receive more advanced diagnostic tests, if she so chooses. However, some women may not want any testing done, for religious, medical, or personal reasons. In addition, there is a change for a false-negative results; therefore bringing unnecessary anxiety, extra expense, and medical risk if further testing is pursued.  I do think, just like all aspects of pregnancy, it is a personal choice that the medical community must respect. My opinion to have initial testing done, might have prompted me for further action, depending on results. I would assume that I would want as much information about possible health problems with my baby; but I do not think you really know what you would decide unless you are actually faced with that situation. I think the technology available now is amazing in utero, whether diagnosing or actually even performing surgery. However, we must leave these options up to the parents, despite the benefits we perceive.
Thank you,
Amy

2 comments:

  1. Amy, I agree that the routine prenatal tests usually performed should be optional based on the wishes of the mother. My daughter had an abnormal AFT during her third pregnancy which resulted in an amniocentesis. It was unnecessary as there was no abnormality found but waiting for the results was agonizing (it took 2 weeks). She and her husband had already decided that they would not abort the pregnancy if the baby had a chromosomal abnormality but they did want to proceed with the amnio so they could be prepared if there was anything wrong. Technology is amazing but it is sometimes used in ways that are not beneficial to unborn babies, such as in China when some women opt for abortion if they are carrying a female child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel prenatal testing should be routine for expected mothers. However, I do understand the your views and Jeri's as well. I can see how these exams will put more stress on the parents(especially mothers). But atleast it gives the parents the opportunity make a decision before birth.
    China's issue is due to a male dominant culture. female babys are be killed even after birth( if parents couldnt afford ultrasound)

    ReplyDelete